COVID-19 Resources for Orthopaedic Nurses
NAON continues to monitor developments related to COVID-19, including updates from public health officials and our community. Healthcare providers worldwide are actively engaged in emergency operations related to the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic. To help our community navigate this together, below are resources to support you in your practice to address this rapidly evolving crisis situation. This page is being updated regularly with new information and resources as they become available.
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak Live Updates
- For the World Health Organization (WHO) refer here.
- For the Center on Disease Control (CDC) refer here.
- For the New York Times Live Updates refer here.
NAON Orthopaedic Nurses Share Your Stories
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought uncertain times: some challenging, some inspiring. As orthopaedic nurses, we know you have your own stories to share from this time. Join our OrthoNowOther campaign and share your stories of compassion, understanding, obstacles overcome, hopes, fears, and yes please, your humor. Share your story here.
American Nurses Association COVID-19 Webinar Series - FREE to all Nurses
Part 1 - Be Confident Protecting Yourself and Providing the Best Care to Your Patients during this COVID-19 Pandemic
Presented by the American Nurses Association (ANA), this free on-demand webinar will cover the current epidemiology of COVID-19, best practice recommendations for optimal protection while maximizing a limited supply of PPE, and other critical information for nurses on the front lines. Register now to get immediate access to the first webinar in this three-part COVID-19 webinar series from ANA.
Part 2 - Ventilator Management: Essential Skills for Non-ICU Nurses
You may soon be faced with one of the most challenging aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic: The need for nurses with little or no critical care experience being called on to be part of a team caring for severely ill COVID-19 patients, many of whom must be on a ventilator to survive.
Taught by a highly experienced critical care nurse specialist and educator, this 60-minute on-demand webinar presents key skills needed when caring for a patient on a ventilator. Access the webinar recording here.
Tell Congress to Increase Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Distribution Now
Nurses on the front lines are experiencing severe shortages in PPE. Nurses are being forced to take drastic measures, such as reusing masks or making their own, ultimately creating an unsafe environment for both nurses and their patients. Consider taking a few moments to send a personalized letter to Congress requesting an increase in PPE distribution and prioritization to health care professionals. Send an email to your congressional representative with one click here.
Op-Ed: Lessons from 9/11 - We Must Act Swiftly to Beat Back COVID-19
Additional COVID-19 Resources
- COVID-19 Discussion Forum
- Evaluating and Testing for COVID-19
- Interim Guidance for Implementing Home Care of People Not Requiring Hospitalization for COVID-19
- Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Homes and Residential Communities
- APIC Webinar: Healthcare Preparedness for SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19
- APIC Text Chapter Collection: Outbreak Preparedness and Response 8
- Crisis Standards of Care
- Healthcare Professional Preparedness Checklist For Transport and Arrival of Patients With Confirmed or Possible
- Standard Precautions for All Patient Care
- Hospital Preparedness Checklist
- Sequence for Putting on PPE
- FAQs about Personal Protective Equipment
- Interim Guidelines for Collecting, Handling, and Testing Clinical Specimens
- Infection Control Basics
- What to Do If Your Orthopaedic Surgery Is Postponed