NAON 44th Annual Congress
Submit a Poster or a Podium Proposal
NAON invites you to submit a podium or poster presentation proposal for the 44th Annual Congress! This is your opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise on the latest best practices, research or innovative solutions from your hospital or practice.
The Call for Podium Proposals has been extended through August 25, 2023. You will be notified of your acceptance in October 2023. The call for Posters will remain open through September 15, 2023.
SUBMIT A POSTER OR PODIUM PROPOSAL
Allied Health and APRN Virtual Symposium
Join NAON on Wednesday, September 20 for a virtual symposium geared toward our allied health and advanced practice nurses! The event features sessions from multi-disciplinary orthopaedic teams presenting on quality improvement projects, best practices on program initiatives and updates relevant to any clinical setting. If you’re unable to attend on the 20th, you can still register as all attendees will receive access to the on-demand sessions to review and re-watch.
REGISTER AND LEARN MORE
In-Person Ortho Nurses Week ONRC Workshop
The Orthopaedic Nursing Review Course, will take place on Thursday, November 2 at NAON Headquarters in Chicago, IL, during Orthopaedic Nurses Week. This one-day review course is ideal for nurses seeking certification or to refresh their knowledge. Connect with fellow nurses to improve your overall orthopaedic best practices.
Limited Time Discount on Core Curriculum for Orthopaedic Nursing
If you haven't already purchased your physical copy of the 8th edition Core Curriculum for Orthopaedic Nursing, now is your chance! This fundamental textbook provides comprehensive content for all nurses across settings and is an excellent resource to prepare for an orthopaedic certification exam or for application as a staff desk reference. NAON is pleased to announce a limited time discount for the Core of $185 for members and $285 for non-members.
PURCHASE THE CORE
Just Released: Online ONP-C Review Course
NAON’s new Online ONP-C course for the orthopaedic nurse practitioner offers a complete review course that can be completed online. NAON has identified the list of topic areas, with each module mapped to the ONCB ONP-C® exam content areas, and the number of exam questions are listed for each module to assist the learner with organization for their study. The course also features a physical assessment section and an interactive message board for learners to share resources and discuss content with peers as a virtual group.
What Do We Need? Sleep
By Laura Hixon, MSNE, RN-BC, ONC
We all know how great a good night sleep feels! Sometimes it seems like it can be harder to get than we think. Here are some suggestions from the American Holistic Nurses Association.
1. Invest in Your Sleep Environment: Start with the basics- dark and quiet, comfortable temperature. Comfortable mattress and bedding.
2. Shift-work: minimize noise and light in your sleep environment. Ear-plugs or a white-noise machine, blackout shades or a quality comfortable eye mask
3. Makes sense: Use a sleep enhancing linen mist or a diffuser with orange, lavender, or chamomile oil.
4. Develop a Wind-Down Routine Mindfulness practices: releases neurotransmitters for relaxation. Breathwork, Restorative Yoga, or Tai Chi, nice soaking bath.
4. Sleep Hygiene: Reducing or cut-out electronic blue-light absorption (screen-time), cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine two hours before intended sleep.
5. Manage the “Thought Whirlwind”: sleep difficulties can be a sign of a brain in distress: when continuous or frequent disturbing thoughts, anxiety, or nightmares, contribute to a sleep deficit, consider this a ‘warning’ light.
If you are struggling with sleep these days, you are not alone! The rate of nurses complaining of these symptoms has risen as high as 60% in some facilities during COVID-19.
For more research-based information about the effects of sleep on your body, here is a great article.
Worley S. L. (2018). The Extraordinary Importance of Sleep: The Detrimental Effects of Inadequate Sleep on Health and Public Safety Drive an Explosion of Sleep Research. P & T : a peer-reviewed journal for formulary management, 43(12), 758–763. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6281147/