Apply Now for the ONCB/NAON Exam Prep Scholarship!
NAON and ONCB jointly sponsor a scholarship specifically for orthopaedic nursing certification preparation materials. The ONC scholarship award includes one copy of the current Core Curriculum for Orthopaedic Nursing, courtesy of NAON, and a bundle of five online ONC practice examinations provided by ONCB. The ONP-C scholarship award comprises the AAOS Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care, Enhanced Fifth Edition textbook with interactive eBook courtesy of NAON, and a bundle of five online ONP-C practice exams provided by ONCB. To promote the value of certification and NAON membership, awards are available only to non-certified NAON members. Already certified? Share this with a colleague who is interested in orthopaedic nursing certification.
For more information and to apply, visit the ONCB website: https://www.oncb.org/certifications/onc-certification/scholarships-and-awards/. Applications must be received by October 1, 2022.
Apply to be an ONCB Director Today!
Are you or is someone you know interested in a rewarding Board of Director’s position for ONCB? Do you have questions but are afraid to or don’t know whom to ask? Here is everything you need to know about serving on the ONCB Board of Directors.
Don’t miss out! Nominations are due Saturday, December 31.
Who is qualified?
Eligibility and Term of Service
- Must hold current credential of the Orthopaedic Nurses Certification Board (ONC®, OCNS-C®, ONP-C®, ONC-A™) and maintain credential during term of service.
- Candidates may be self-nominated; application will be available through the ONCB Web site when vacancies are posted.
- 3-year term begins and ends at the conclusion of the Annual NAON Congress.
- Application for additional 3-year term will be considered by the Board.
- Prior experience with ONCB is considered a strength, but is not required.
What happens on the Board?
As an ONCB volunteer at the national level, you are able to contribute uniquely to the development of the ONC® and ONP-C® programs that recognize and promote excellence in orthopaedic nursing practice. Very importantly, you are encouraging the best possible care for orthopaedic patients and their families.
In addition, you are able to:
- Give back to the orthopaedic nursing specialty and the nursing profession.
- Hear the voice of orthopaedic patients and their families through the ONCB Public Member.
- Ensure the highest standards of orthopaedic nursing knowledge among credential holders.
- Influence national standards and practice.
- Advocate for excellence in orthopaedic nursing practice beyond your immediate work setting.
- Grow professionally in new areas.
- Network nationally with nursing colleagues beyond your own work setting.
- Be recognized as a national leader within your profession.
- Collaborate with leaders of other national organizations in advancing the profession and nursing certification across specialties.
What is the time commitment?
Three director positions will be filled in 2023 for a three-year term beginning May 2023. The term of office for ONCB Directors is three years. If a Director wishes to apply for a second three-year term, he or she will be evaluated by other Board members. The Director’s self-evaluation also will be considered in the Board’s decision to offer a second term.
- Maintain email for regular communication with Board members (1-3 hours weekly). Expected email response is three business days except when on vacation. Directors should engage in careful dialogue about any issues presented electronically, and clearly indicate their positions.
- Attend three meetings annually (all related expenses paid by the ONCB, including Congress registration [NAON member rate]). A two-day meeting is held in September or October, depending on available venues and dates. A one-day board meeting is held in February. A one-day meeting is held during the Annual NAON Congress. Committee chairs and Directors with liaison positions will be responsible for submission of a one-page report for inclusion in each Board book; deadline for report submission will be established by the ONCB President. All Directors are responsible for careful review of the Board book before the meeting to ensure informed involvement in Board discussions.
- Participate in conference calls as scheduled by the ONCB President.
- Work assigned shifts at the ONCB booth in the Exhibit Hall at the Annual NAON Congress.
- Work at the ONCB Recognition Event (when scheduled) during the Annual NAON Congress.
- Attend other meetings as mutually determined to represent the Board (e.g., American Board of Nursing Specialties [ABNS]; Magnet® Conference; Institute for Credentialing Excellence [ICE]; AAOS).
Can I self-nominate?
Yes! Please do.
Do I have to ask the person I nominate if they are willing to run?
Absolutely! Everyone needs to agree to be nominated.
Is there someone I can contact if I have questions?
Apply online today: https://www.oncb.org/oncb-director-application/.
Need Categorization for a Local Workshop?
If your hospital or NAON chapter is planning a workshop, make ONCB part of the event. ONCB can review the content outline for your educational program and provide a categorization statement (hours in Category A or B) for your publicity and CE certificate. Your attendees will never need to provide additional documentation for the event as they recertify. For activities with less than 5 contact hours, the evaluation fee is $30. For activities with 5 or more contact hours, the evaluation fee is $60. Contact ONCB by email (email@example.com) or phone (888-561-6622) with any questions about this process. Please note ONCB is not an approver of continuing nursing education.
Scholarships and Awards
The January 1 deadline is fast approaching! If you are planning to test or recertify in 2023, you should apply for ONCB's Exam and Recertification Scholarships. Complete information is available on the ONCB web site. https://www.oncb.org/certifications/onc-certification/scholarships-and-awards/
ONCB Dottie Roberts Excellence in Certification Scholarship
Apply today for this prestige scholarship. In 2020, Dottie Roberts retired as Executive Director of ONCB. Dottie’s vast knowledge and dedicated service exemplify excellence in all facets of certification. Dottie held the orthopaedic certification credential since 1995, so the recipient of the scholarship is a nurse who is recertifying the credential for at least the second time. The recipient will receive a free recertification. Applications are due by January 1! Complete information is available on the ONCB web site. https://www.oncb.org/certifications/onc-certification/scholarships-and-awards/
Remember…There Are Now More Options in Continuing Education
ONCB accepts limited amounts of continuing medical education (CME) credit, as well as credit from approved providers of pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and social work continuing education. A detailed table is available on the ONCB web site https://www.oncb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ONCB-Summary-Recertification-by-Continuing-Education-071220.pdf. Use it for your own reference, or post it in your workplace to help other certified orthopaedic nurses answer questions about appropriate activities for recertification.
“Like” ONCB on Facebook
Stay in touch with ONCB through Facebook…find us as “ONCB - Orthopaedic Nurses Certification Board.” Regular postings including testing and recertification tips, as well as general news items from ONCB.